I am sitting in a hotel room in upper Manhattan, New York City. Blogging like a boss, freezing like a popsicle, and plotting to ... y'know.... take over the world and stuff.
1. I am tempted to start doing a Facebook post every day called "HEY INSTAGRAM - SORRY BUT WHY DID YOU TAG THAT #BLACKMILK?" Seriously... like, who looks at this photo and thinks to themselves "Yep, this is very Black Milk, let me hashtag that sucker on Instagram...
How do you even... I mean... what the...
2. It's been interesting checking out what women wear in NYC. What I'm finding is the same thing I found in Milan, that women tend to dress very... homogenous. So you'll get a nice jacket, black leggings, and nice boots, and that's it. Don't get me wrong - it looks fine, but it just not... hmmmm, how do I phrase this.... much to look at? I mean, you're not going to be turning your head alot. You don't often think to yourself "Wow - check out that girl's outfit, she is rocking it!"
Obviously I am not talking about sharkies, because they just look FAB.
Maybe I'm biased...
3. Gymwear update!!! As you guys know I have been working really hard on my gymwear collection.
The first step for me has been to realise that you are not going to be able to please everyone. SO many times I have told girls that I am going to be doing gymwear and I hear things like this:
- "Great! Make them so they are really high on the waist. I hate it how gymwear sits so low..."
- "Great! Make them so they are really low on the waist. I hate it how gymwear sits so high..."
- "Great! Make the waists really tight. I hate it how gymwear has such loose waists..."
- "Great! Make the waists really loose. I hate it how gymwear has such tight waists..."
- "Great! Make them just below the knee. I hate it how gymwear sits on the calf..."
- "Great! Make them sit on the calf. I hate it how gymwear goes just below the knee..."
Girls tend to have a strong sense of what constitutes good gymwear, and there is very little consistancy to it. And that's fine! It has meant that I am going to have to think a lot more about what I personally want to see, rather than try to match what I am doing to what girls are wanting.
That may sound a little selfish... but think of it like music. When a musician creates music, he doesn't ask himself what people want to hear, he only cares about what he personally responds to. If it's working for him, he puts it out there and hopes that others feel about his music the same way he does.
I like to imagine myself walking into a situation (could be anything - a party, a bar, a cafe - in this case it would be a gym) and I see a girl and I just go "WOW". That is cool. I want to talk to her...
So what is she wearing?
And then I hope like heck that that is actually what girls want to be wearing in the gym. Otherwise this could be a very expensive excercise in self centredness. :/
I'm planning on maybe 3-4 pieces. One awesome gym singlet, knee length leggings, and full length leggings. So just don't buy any gymwear from any companies beginning with the letter L for the next month - cool?
5. One of the things I really want to focus on this year is fun.
We need to have fun. YOU WILL HAVE FUN THIS YEAR OR ELSE... BLACK MILK FUN REGULATIONS WILL BE STRICTLY ENFORCED.
For me, fun is playing around with design. I'm thinking design compettions, graphic design battles, style battles, collaborations, design challenges... and lots of special little pieces for different groups.
Of course, we have actually already begun - in fact this litle bad boy was a little treat for the discussion page girls. :)
Lots more to come. :)
Would you like to smell like the feel of tight strechy pants?!
I mean, that the awesomeness of the scent would be on the same level as having awesome tight Black Milk leggings on your bum.
Okay, forget that, just watch out for the new Black Milk fragrances that I have been working on for a while. We have two that I think are really cool - and they are called....
- Black Milk White (strong peach and vanilla notes)
- Black Milk Black (strong rose and sugar notes)
So excited for this stuff...
One more day to go... see you there. :)