I'm blogging... so strap in peeps, I'm a little rusty.
1. Just got back from my last little adventure in Melbourne. We started our Melbourne operation a few months ago, and that place is cooking. Actually... maybe cooking is a bad metaphor because it implies the presence of some type of heat, which is apparently unknown to the bottom section of Australia around this time of year. (READ: It is cold and miserable all the time).
So the big question on my mind is now, where do we go next?
There have been a few suggestions... Sydney (which is actually our best city in terms of sharkies), San Fransisco, LA, and of course... NYC.
Interestingly, there has been some criticism of my planning to open a new operation anywhere but in Australia. And I can understand that. We have always been perceieved as a very Australian label.
However, there is something that has given me pause for thought. And it is this....
The US sharkies are truly awesome.
"But jL - all sharkies are awesome!"
This is true... but spare a thought for your US sharkie. They have to stay up late for releases, they miss most of my obsessive Facebook posting, they don't get to meet Handsome Cam or myself (which is pretty much the pinnacle of human experience), and yet they still buy more Black Milk gear than anyone else outside Australia. Observe...
So what the heck... maybe we'll just go nuts and set up a studio in the US. You only live once.
And of course, we will still have our Australian studios and they will keep expanding. :)
2. Of course, it goes without saying that our strict policy about not manufacturing in the third world is not going to change any time soon.
In fact... never. :)
3. I don't know what this hand signal means, but if it is something along the lines of "Guess what - Black Milk did a deal with LucasArts and so the most awesome clothing ever created will be available soon"... then it is surprisingly accurate.
So the good news is that it is happening, the bad news is that we may need a few months to finalise the deal and to build up stock!
And they will cost a little bit more because they are an officially licensed item (i.e. we have to pay for the rights!) :o
But much cheaper than eBay....
4. These tees are awesome and you can buy them here. :)
Before I made leggings I made tee shirts. They are still cool.
5. Remember these bad boys?!
I'm working with zips again at the moment. I have an idea of creating a leather jacket bikie qipao. Madame Butterfly meets a biker chick. Can't wait to see how this thing turns out. And obvioulsy I'll give you guys a peek. ;)
6. So it seems that other clothing labels are trying to muscle in on Black Milk territory with their own versions of some of our pieces... scandalous!
Behold... Purple Galaxy Leggings
For some reason, I'm not worried.
By the way, a lot of girls are unsure how to respond when they see 'versions' of our pieces being 'referenced' by other clothing labels.
Some go in like a bulldog. Some go the other way and say that it doesn't matter because nothing in fashion is original anyway.
I'm not fussed. At the end of the day, peeps are going to follow the leader. ;)
7. So as you might have heard, I had this awesome idea.
You know when you see swimsuits on the catwalk (or on blackmilkclothing.com) the girls are always wearing awesome shoes? They look sweet, right? Unfortunately, in reality girls are never going to get the opportunity to wear swimsuits and awesome shoes together. Because people look at you funny when you hit the town on a Saturday night wearing nothing but the Black Ribs swimsuit and a pair of Litas.
So here's the awesome idea.. we pick a city with lots of sharkies - and we do a SWIMS + SHOES POOL PARTY!!! Girls only. So you can dress as outrageous as you want, eat, drink, swim, and just have a blast.
I would even design a special swim collection especially for the occasion. :) This shall be cool....
I'll keep you in the loop. :)