I'm blogging! With any luck, my blog will get so successful that I will get invited to fashion shows and get to sit in the front row with REAL fashion people. O. M. G. Cannot wait.
Here goes nothing...
1. So I have been in two minds about this - does it suck... or is it brilliant?
Jks... it sucks.
2. A little while ago I flagged that the galaxy style leggings would be all run out. We did get rid of a few styles, but I have changed my mind about them. Let me explain why.
I really want to do some amazing creative stuff with clothing. However, it's really challenging when you are still producing, marketing, selling stuff you did years ago. You get caught up in it. Discontinuing them was a way for me to move forward.
But I think I may have found a better way. I'll keep you posted. :)
3. Seems I have stirred some controversy lately. Who moi? ;)
I have been accused of the following crimes:
- Alienating Christian sharkies
- Promoting the occult/atheism/satanism
- Promoting hipsterism (new word, I made it up)
When I told the peeps at BM that had been getting complaints that I was anti-christian and promoting Satanism... we all had a good lol. Seriously, I have been accused of a lot of things with respect to my religious beliefs over the years... but promoting satanism is definitely a new one! And as for promoting atheism... rotfl.
To set the record straight, this is how this simple design came about...
I was thinking about how to make a basic shirt more interesting, so I was planning on just sewing a basic cross into it to provide some contrast. But I wanted to play around with the positioning of the cross. We tried it on one piece we made and someone commented that it looked like a 'Russian cross'.
I pointed out that that Russian orthodox cross has a diagonal piece below the usual horizontal bar. And that it was perhaps similar to another cross design used by eastern orthodox churches, maybe Greek or Armenian. (Religious symbolism is something I really get into).
That got me thinking about different kinds of crosses, and the first one that sprung to mind was the St. Peter's Cross. An ancient Christian symbol that came from an early church tradition that Peter was executed by crucifixion - upside down at his own insistence.
So we experimented with some tiled pattern prints featuring the inverted cross - some small, some big. I really liked one which had big crosses with big spaces - which is the one you can see above. :)
As to the charge of being hipster... I have no idea what hipsters are wearing at the moment. No offence to them personally... I just don't find them all that interesting.
5. Melbourne - here we come! Black Milk is setting up a new fashion manufacturing studio in Collingwood in February. Which means I'm going to have to travel to Melbourne every week. I guess that means I might be able to come to some of the Melbourne Sharky meet ups. If I'm allowed....
6. Speaking of sharkies meeting up, we are SO pumped about all the little BM groups that are spring up all over the world at the moment. It's just so awesome that it's surreal. I have conversations regularly that go like this:
Person: So what do you do for work?
Me: I make clothes.
Person: Cool. Are they in any department stores? I might have seen them.
Me: No, we don't have any clothes in department stores.
Person: Okay... any boutiques? My girlfriend might have seen them.
Me: No, no boutiques. But we have a website.
Person: Great! My girlfriend buys a lot of clothes online. What's the label?
Me: Black Milk Clothing... we mostly do leggings.
Person: Oh. I haven't heard of that one.
Me: That's okay. We're kind of underground.
Person: Oh, okay. I have a friend who has a boutique, I could put you in contact if you want?
Me: Actually we like just being online.
Person: And do you sell a lot online?
Me: Oh yes, we have thousands of customers all over the world. It's like a little community. In fact, the girls who wear Black Milk form little groups and meet up in different cities all over the world.
Person: They meet up?
Me: Yeah, wearing our clothes.
Person: And what do they do?
Me: Eat, drink, party, talk... y'know, girl stuff.
Person: Sounds like a cult.
Me: I hear that a lot.
7. I have found a name for the February Collection
Hot Little Bosses
Because that's what all our customers are.
8. Stars and Stripes prints... so hot right now.
If you was the dude in the middle, how frustrated would you be?
"Guy number 1, you get to wear pants and a vest, guy number 2, you get pants... guy number 3... sorry bro, you get the undies. But here's a heavy jacket to go with them so you don't look... y'know, ridiculous."
(I wonder if the dude in the middle is thinking "Yeah, to all you guys judging me - I may look pretty dopey right now... BUT I'M A MODEL, SUCKERS, YOU HEAR THAT? I GOT MUSCLES AND CHEEK BONES AND I'M GETTING PAID TO DO THIS. And I get to be hugged by Natasha Poly... kind of).
And according to the pic above, Brisbane Broncos socks are going to be big for girls at festivals this season.
9. This photo makes me feel relaxed... I love it.
Take me to this place!!!