1. Okay, I have very recently been accused of having a double standard. In fact, on this very blog! Those of you who have been reading this blog for a while will know my general disdain for the imagery you find in American Apparel ads. Yes, I think it's sleazy. A lot of people use words like 'edgy', or phrases like 'pushing the boundaries' but, peeps, that ain't gong to fly. Seriously, I mean, if that stuff is edgy, then myself and every other 13 year old boy at my school had a serious appreciation of 'edgy' photography - as well as a fairly hefty stash of 'edgy' magazines that we had hidden behind the bike sheds.
But is Black Milk doing the same thing? Are we using sexual suggestion and sleaze to sell products?
I (obviously) can't comment in an unbiased manner... so I will post the photo in question from Black Milk, and compare it with an American Apparel pic:
I found an example of American Apparel's advertising. To see it click here (NSFW).
And if you're still going "Hey dude, lighten up, it's the nineties... being sexually uptight is for squares!" Then here is another example.
Final example (and this one is just plain bizarre) here.
- Q. 1 Black Milk's marketing strategy utilises overt sexualised imagery similar to those of American Apparel. Discuss. (This question counts for 25% of your final grade)
3. I'm really not sure what to say about this interesting piece of fashion... at least the girl wearing it is smiling. Or trying to.
Reminds me of this - which is way cool:
Anyone notice hat zipper at the bottom there...?
4. I think I made the world's first pair of full peacock print leggings! Because we all want to look like peacocks. Or at least this dude does.
That is one hard core peacock. Respect.
5. I got this sweet, sweet pic from the fantastic AX, this pic is called Sexy Back Hoe. Say it out loud.
These are the Shredded To Hell leggings I believe. I always felt like the mechanised farming fashion community was an untapped market. Who knew?
6. ... And I got this from her as well...
Now, I know what you're thinking (maybe). "Hey, that's the ruched zippered side skirt that SP (see pic below) was wearing a little while back that hasn't been available, so how come this girl got one!? No fair!"
... and the reason is that this skirt was a size XXS, and AX wanted one, and she is the only girl I know with a waist that small (except for VW, who tried this one on and wanted to keep it, but wasn't allowed... because I said AX could have it and VW's boyfriend thought she was spending waaaaaay too much on tights in the last month). So there you have it.
It's a really cool skirt. Pretty much every girl who has worn this one has wanted it. Super cute.
7. I can't even remember where I found this pic. But it reminds me that I need to do some more laced up front styles.
8. Guess which blogger's ex bf drew this pic of her a few years ago...?
How do the corners of the star cutout on the top keep their shape? Underwire?
Gotta love those superheroine outfits. So practical, and yet, so well fitted to those realistic female physiques... you guys all pretty much look like this right?
WOuld you believe I'm designing a cape at the moment? Seriously, I know you will be sceptical.. but this cape is the coolest thing. You'll see.
Interesting place to do cut outs. Each to their own.
p.s If you have 5 minutes to kill.... you could do worse than watch this: